Friday, September 29, 2006

Reincarnation Update

Shortly after my last post about the email problems, I received a response from DreamHost:

I terribly sorry for the delay in this reply. It's been hectic around here (to say the least!), and we have been working around the clock to assist all our cusomters as quickly as possible. When the account was disabled, so were all your email accounts.. When your account was reenabled again, for some reason, your email accounts were not reenabled with it. What I did was manually reenable all your email accounts, run a reconfiguration script on all of them, and tested to make sure it's back up and running.

Please try it out, and let me know if you run into any other email problems. i'll be glad to look into it for you.

Thanks!

Chih

I was quite surprised by Chih's politeness. I feel like he really was sorry for my trouble. If only I could always work with people like Chih, but so far I have never gotten a response from the same person twice.

I tested my email and sure enough, everything was working. The only bad thing is that all of my email accounts had bounced back to the sender during the 48-hour downtime. I personally get over 500 messages a day, so I have no idea what I and my users might have missed.

Unfortunately, everything's not 100% back to normal yet. It's been 31 hours since I opened the support ticket about not being able to delete the file that started all this and I've yet to get a response. But assuming Chih was telling the truth about how hectic it's been at DreamHost recently, I'll give them a little more time before I attempt to contact them again.

I feel like this nightmare might be close to ending.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

DreamHost's poor customer service has led to a serious privacy invasion. When my client attempted to sign up for an account, the transaction hung halfway through. When customer service (which can only be reached by tedious email exchanges) "fixed" the problem, the pay by credit card option was no longer available. The customer service representative insisted that we use Google Payments. I proceeded, and then my client realized his financial information is now in the Google system. The worst possible scenario then came true. Instead of completing the transaction, Google called my client's bank for "preapproval". This was not to complete the transaction (which was never completed), but to gather information for Google's marketing. My client is furious, reviewing everyone's privacy policy, and is looking into ways to bring this problem up at the political, and possibly the legal, level.

Throughout this whole situation, Dreamhost has been nothing but pig-headed. Every customer service representative ignores the case history and either refers us back to Google Payments or says patronizing things like we could have paid with the original credit card system. I offered them a solution where I quietly pay for the account using Google transactions, and they won't even let me help bail them out!!!

I will never refer another client to dreamhost. Right now I'm looking for the best place to air this complaint publicly in as many places as possible. People have to know that when Dreamhost pushes people into using Google Payments, Google then has their financial information to aggregate and deploy for their own purposes.